Saturday 15 September 2012

All about me

So I've seen many people with blogs in this modern world in which we live; some of these people are celebs, wanting to share parts of their daily lives, other blogs belong to ordinary people, like me, who just want to share things on their mind, their experiences or their beliefs.  However, until now I never thought I had anything worth sharing, never believing that I did enough in my day to day living worth talking about; but I've been persuaded to give it a shot.  So here goes...

Well maybe I should start by introducing myself?  My name is Kym, but you can call me Skittles.  I'm twenty-three, going on twelve most of the time, and live in the Highlands of Scotland.

It's an amazing place to live with the most gorgeous and dramatic views in Britain.  We've got so many spectacular animals and they all live right at my doorstep.  When I walk out of my front door in the morning, I walk straight out into countryside, next to fields and rolling hills.  One of the great things about where I live is the fact I'm on the outskirts of a village, meaning I'm close enough to people and to wee shops, but behind my house is absolutely nothing.  There's a river, trees, hills and animals, but that's literally it.  The nearest town to me is twelve miles away.

My drive to work isn't filled with traffic, streets and people everywhere, instead it's a twelve mile drive surrounded by fields, woods and a country road that I'm convinced was build by a drunk man.  It's so twisty with it's sharp bends and it's wild track, so bumpy and unkempt that you have to add a few extra swerves to miss the deep holes.

My place of work is based on an industrial estate, but it's not like most I've ever seen.  Our version of an industrial estate is to have a few call centres and offices, and by few I mean four, and a small fish factory.  There are also a couple of childrens' nurseries so that the mums and dads close by have somewhere to place their children whilst they work.  But once again my work place is surrounded by fields, one of which has cows in which provides much hilarity in an average mundane day.

Unlike the cities and bigger towns, the areas in which I live and work do not have the same mentality.  Here everyone knows everyone else, no one is rushing to get somewhere, you can't vanish into a crowd and be forgotten here.  On a simple five minute journey it can take half an hour, because everyone wants to stop and talk to you, find out how you are.

There's also still some old fashioned customs that have been going on since before the war, something many people rely on as part of their daily routine.  We have a little man who comes over in a white van every Monday, Wednesday and Friday; he's known as the fish man since he sells fresh fish from his van, along with local eggs and bread.  He's been doing this job for decades, as did his father and his father before him, the only difference now is the fact that he uses a van instead of a horse and cart.

Our little village thrives with tourists who come to visit us on an annual basis, who come to enjoy our traditions and sights.  Every Thursday night during the summer they join the locals in the village square to enjoy the traditional Highland dancing, musicians and our Pipe band who wear their own, custom made, tartan and traditional dress.

When people ask me where it is I live I tell them that I'm at the top of Scotland, almost as far up as you can go without actually dropping off the edge, but even then you still have over a hundred miles to travel before you could do that.  So if you ever get the opportunity to visit you should and enjoy our sights and experiences, our traditions and our way of life; and if you do, don't forget to stop and say hi, after all, we don't bite...but the midges might.



















3 comments:

  1. I adore the north of this fair land, yet the furthest I have been is Nairin, Scotland hides it's secrets well, stunning scenery and culture still deeply rooted in years gone by. I love it & your blog! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, it really is beautiful =) Xx

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete